Sunday, January 22, 2017

Women's March on Washington Trip

What a whirlwind!!  Skip down to the photos if you don't want to read my short political intro....

Let me start by saying some folks question "why" go to Washington?  Aren't you just being "sour grapes" and "whining" about the election results.   I hope you see that isn't really what's a play here.  (Although it would be silly to say that the losing side isn't disappointed in every contest!)

I get it - the U.S. has spoken and they wanted "change".   I really do respect that.  I don't really fully understand it, but I respect it.

But, I want to assure that my (small) voice is still part of the process for the next 4 years.   I don't relinquish my voice just because those I thought would best represent our country's needs are not currently in power.  I'm not just walking away.

The march was about so many things, important to so many people.   Mostly that there is fear that long-fought battles to gain rights over the past century could easily be un-done in the current Washington "climate".  The list was long -  equal pay for equal work for both women and people of color, climate change concerns,  gay rights - both marriage and anti-discrimination, abortion rights and Planned Parenthood,  immigration issues, income inequality and minimum wages,   prison-for-profit mentality,  imbalanced sentencing for people of color, income inequality and the overwhelming number of millionaires slated to lead our government, etc.

So, here we are - hoping to help the U.S move forward, not backward!

End of politico....


After meeting early at neighbor Gretchen's house, we carpooled over to Southpoint Mall where they kindly let us use the Park-N-Ride lot.

At 2AM....loading our bus - there were 4 going from this mall.




In DC at the Metro station - our first taste of how big the crowd was going to be.  Luckily, we arrived around 7:30AM - the rally was supposed to start around 10:30AM.


In line, waiting for Metro tickets. 


Our group had a paper "torch" that we were going to try to stay near during the event.  (Only paper items allowed, no wooden posts).



Waiting for our subway train.  We were at Huntington station - the farthest station away from downtown.  I can only imagine what the other, closer stations looked like.


Trains were packed to the brim - squeezed in and standing room only, leaving riders to wait on the platform for the next train.



Exiting the Metro was difficult too!  Just so many people, we inched along.



In place as the rally started with many wonderful speakers.  This was our view for about 4 hours - because we literally couldn't move!!   We were a couple of blocks away from the main stage but they did a great job of having "jumbotrons" and huge speakers so everyone got the message.



We eventually got separated from most of our bus - Gretchen, Katie  and I stayed together the whole time.



We eventually marched up 7th St with the Capitol in the background.  It got a little crazy as folks were starting to move - it took over an hour to walk/shuffle 1/2 mile!  I certainly have never seen so many people in one place at a time!



We tried to get on the Metro to depart but the station was temporarily closed because of overcrowding.  We finally walked to a different Metro station and made it out to Alexandria (close to where our bus would pick us up).

Found a little hole-in-the-wall seafood place to finally rest and get some real food. (There were no street vendors in the march area, so we only had snacks and drinks from our pockets all day). 



Had a terrific crab sandwich!



And finally - if you're wondering what all the "cat hats" are....a local lady that couldn't go to the march made hats for everyone on our bus.  We wore these as "protest" and a notice to our new president TO WATCH WHAT HE SAYS BECAUSE WE'RE LISTENING!








Just in case you didn't see the awful lines in print - here they are - direct quotes from Donald J. Trump:


“I moved on her and I failed. I’ll admit it , “I did try and f*** her. She was married, I moved on her like a bitch, but I couldn’t get there. And she was married.  I’ve gotta use some tic tacs, just in case I start kissing her, And when you’re a star they let you do it,  Grab them by the pussy, You can do anything.”

How can any woman not be deeply troubled and offended by those words??

Have a great day!!








1 comment:

affectioknit said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun...

Love,

T